Mission: To provide accurate, up-to-date education on how to cope with Lactation After Loss to grieving mothers, as well as to the care providers who care for these women after the loss of a baby.

Goals:
Expand Rowan's Milk Survey.
Develop a Brochure on Lacation After Loss for mothers.
Make Brochure and results of Survey available to care providers.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Karin's Story

After my baby was born and died at 19 weeks, we were devastated. He was to be our first baby. I was told that it was possible that my milk would come in and if it did, I should bind my breasts with an ace bandage to dry them up. I did not realize that this medical advice was not based in evidence and could have been potentially harming. Although it was painful it was also somehow fitting that my milk came in fully on the day of my son's burial. My body was aching to have him in my arms just as my heart was aching for him as well. I didn't realize that my body would make milk for a baby that could never have survived.

I must have looked engorged, because a sweet aunt asked if my milk had come in and reassured me that my body hadn't failed (as I was afraid it had by birthing a son too early), because it had known what to do to take care of this baby. It helped me to hope for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment